Re: Kernel Panic at boot

Hi...

On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 6:02 AM, Stephen Roberts
<sroberts82k@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
> Thanks for your response.
>
> I tried what you said and it seemed to help, but when I ran mkinitrd I got
> this:
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> stephen@the-batman:/usr/local/src/linux-2.6.28$ sudo mkinitrd -o
> initrdsteo.img-2.6.28 2.6.28
> /usr/sbin/mkinitrd: add_modules_dep_2_5: modprobe failed
> FATAL: Module sg not found.
> FATAL: Module sd_mod not found.
> WARNING: This failure MAY indicate that your kernel will not boot!
> but it can also be triggered by needed modules being compiled into
> the kernel.

hmm, i did this to see where sg module should land:
[mulyadi@mulyadi ~]$ cd /lib/modules/`uname -r`
[mulyadi@mulyadi 2.6.27.12-78.2.8.fc9.i686]$ find | grep -i sg
./kernel/drivers/media/video/videobuf-dma-sg.ko
./kernel/drivers/char/ipmi/ipmi_msghandler.ko
./kernel/drivers/scsi/sg.ko

so it seems that sg.ko has something to do with SCSI. are you sure you
have enabled everything related to SCSI? I can't give any hints about
it, so I think other people could help better here.

my other suspicion is, you need to upgrade your mkinitrd to somehow
match the installed kernel version.

> Then when I booted the kernel:
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> RAMDISK: Loading into RAM disk... done
> List of all partitions:
> 0800               sda driver: sd
> 0801      <numbers> sda1
> 0802      <numbers> sda2
> 0803      <numbers> sda3
> 0804      <numbers> sda4
> 0b00  <numbers> sr0 driver: sr
> No filesystem could mount root, tried: ext3 vfat msdos iso9660
> Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unkown
> block(0,0)

Here's my confusion. When I looked the above messages, I think that
you also forgot to compile certain filesystem types. What's the
filesystem type of your root filesystem anyway? and if it's compiled
as kernel modules, are you sure it's included in the initrd image?

regards,

Mulyadi.