Re: New in kernal programming

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 8:00 PM, Henrik Austad <henrik@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Shaz,

Now I'm being picky, if you're insulted, sue me :-

> I guess the attached book can help a lot but its not the ultimate guide ;)

Please don't do that. If the list has 100 subscribers, you've just sent out
120MB of data that poor nl.linux.org has to move. It's better to put it
somewhere and add a link. This also helps people that read a lot of their
email over slow/expensive connections.

And for the record, I think kernelnewbies has a lot more than 100 subscribers
;-)

I can understand because I am new to mailing lists ;) I get lots of corrections and I make sure that I learn. i should have emailed it in private. Right?

Thanks.

> It has shown howto make a memory manager with assembly language. Scheduler
> at kernel level means big time assembly language but the book tells you how
> you can use high level language in some cases.

I'm (trying to) implementing a multicore real-time scheduler as we speak, and
I don't write any assembly. Assembly should be put into arch/, not in kernel/.
The scheduler should be *generic* for all architectures and if you put
assembly into the scheduler, prepare for a flame-fest on lkml.

I have to insist on this one because I know that both depend on the hardware architecture and if anyone wants to do kernel scheduling than they ought to know how to interact with registers and handle the stack and PSW etc.

> I hope this should get you excited and started ;)

After all this, thanks for the book though, it is always nice to get more (and
new) information about programming.

I also learned a lot from it. A friend gave it to me for understanding memory management.

 henrik

--
Shaz