Re: New in kernal programming

On Wednesday 18 February 2009 10:24:24 abhish agarwal wrote:
> Hi All,

Hi!

> I am new in kernel programming. from theory point of view i have gone
> through bash 2-3 times.

I'm not sure if bash is the most relevant experience though.. C and bash are a
bit different.

> But where to start and what tools do i need for
> that i dont have much idea.I was thinking to implement one scheduling
> algorithm from starting point of view but i dint get much information on
> net.Please guide me. Thanks in advance.

If you want to become a kernel-hacker, I guess the first task is to learn how
to find answers on the 'Net. There are *tons* of info out there, and sooner
or later you need to learn how to filter out the important stuff ;)

1) A decent editor
2) git (no, you don't *need* get to start working in the kernel, but if you
want to continue, git is a great tool)
3) Get the soruce, either via 2) or from kernel.org
4) Read Changes for a complete list of libraries you need.

You are aiming high if you want to start out with implementing a new scheduler
from scratch. But if you want to learn how to fly, you need to jump high I
guess. Start by looking into include/linux/sched.h and relevant files in
kernel (notably sched*.c

Best of luck!

--
 -> henrik