Re: Distro suited for kernel development and delployment

Hi!

> Secondly, I did everything and the kernel installed fine. But when new
> kernel comes up it waits for root device and then breaks into a busybox
> shell. My first impression was that may be I had compiled ext3 and ext2
> files system drivers as modules and may be initramfs didn't have them.
> So reconfigured the kernel to make sure that they are builtin. But no
> luck. It still breaks and drops at the busybox shell. I even tried
> giving root=LABEL=/ and root=/dev/sda1 but nothing seems to help. I
> don't know how this UUID stuff works. Furthermore, I am unable to
> explain that even when ext3 & ext2 are compiled in, /dev/sda1 fails. I
> would have no gripes using Ubuntu further (I like this distro alot), but
> can somebody point me to the story of UUID and how can I make it work?

It most cases the initramfs has to be rebuilt for every new kernel, because
it contains kernel modules for which are loaded during boot. If you do not
need them, because everything you need is compiled in, configure grub to boot
without initramfs and use root=/dev/sdaX as the root fs parameter. If this
does not help, you can try to download a kernel from www.kernel.org and do
"make $WHATEVERconfig" and "cp arch/$YOUR_ARCH/boot/bzImage /boot/newkernel"
instead of using your distro kernel/tools.

	-Michi
--
programing a layer 3+4 network protocol for mesh networks
see http://michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com