Re: Distro suited for kernel development and delployment

On Sun, 2009-02-08 at 16:13 +0500, Shaz wrote:
> In order for the distros to compete in the modern days, they have to
> introduce newer and smoother ways of doing things, including kernel
> development. They will have older tools for backward compatibility or
> else you can get them from their respective sites. If you are used to
> the RedHat way of doing things than you should use Fedora.

First of all, I am sorry to cut-and-paste your conversation here. Since
these messages are archived, others who visit later would get a good
context. Top posting would not be that good.

Secondly, I did everything and the kernel installed fine. But when new
kernel comes up it waits for root device and then breaks into a busybox
shell. My first impression was that may be I had compiled ext3 and ext2
files system drivers as modules and may be initramfs didn't have them.
So reconfigured the kernel to make sure that they are builtin. But no
luck. It still breaks and drops at the busybox shell. I even tried
giving root=LABEL=/ and root=/dev/sda1 but nothing seems to help. I
don't know how this UUID stuff works. Furthermore, I am unable to
explain that even when ext3 & ext2 are compiled in, /dev/sda1 fails. I
would have no gripes using Ubuntu further (I like this distro alot), but
can somebody point me to the story of UUID and how can I make it work?

Thanks

Regards
- Himanshu