Re: filter drivers in Linux

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 05:33:57PM +0530, Srinivas G. wrote:
> Please ignore my previous post.
>
> The current USB storage system is not lacking of any thing.

Great.

> My requirement is to develop a driver for my custom device which can
> queue the commands with the corresponding increase in the performance.
> This will make my USB device to work faster than regular rates.

How can you get faster than what Linux provides today?  We already max
out the USB bus rate, the command queueing is not the limiting factor
for any USB disk these days.

> One way I can do this by modifying the storage class driver to suite
> my requirements. But I wanted to have better Modularity and
> Extensibility for the future versions of USB/storage class driver.
> With this design I will use the regular USB stack, mass storage class
> driver structure in addition to the newly added custom driver layer as
> I explained in my previous figure.
>
> Please suggest me.

Just write a new version of the usb-storage driver if you really think
this is an issue.  But you should really do some research first, I don't
think you will find the USB stack your limiting factor...

good luck,

greg k-h