RE: filter drivers in Linux

>On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 04:01:02PM +0530, Srinivas G. wrote:
>> Actually my requirement is a bit different. I wanted to develop my
>> custom driver in USB stack, which wanted to modify the data
transmitted
>> and received by storage class driver.
>>
>> Here is the place of the driver I am planning to implement.
>>
>> User Mode Driver
>> Storage Class Driver
>> MY CUSTOM DRIVER
>> Bus Class Driver
>>
>> In this case, Do I need to know the function calls supported by
"Storage
>> Class Drivers" and "Bus Class Drivers"?
>> Will there be any documentation available or any such type of
>> implementation available in any Linux flavor?
>>
>> Please let me know If I am missing any thing here.

> I think you are missing the fact that the source to everything you are
> looking for here is avaible, so you can do whatever you want to it, no
> need to write a "filter" driver like Windows requires.

> But the bigger questions is, why do you need to add a custom driver to
> the usb storage driver?  What do you want to do in the kernel that the
> current usb storage driver in Linux doesn't already do?  It is lacking
> some kind of needed functionality?

Dear Greg,

Thanks for your info.

Please ignore my previous post.

The current USB storage system is not lacking of any thing.

My requirement is to develop a driver for my custom device which can
queue the commands with the corresponding increase in the performance.
This will make my USB device to work faster than regular rates. One way
I can do this by modifying the storage class driver to suite my
requirements. But I wanted to have better Modularity and Extensibility
for the future versions of USB/storage class driver.  With this design I
will use the regular USB stack, mass storage class driver structure in
addition to the newly added custom driver layer as I explained in my
previous figure.

Please suggest me.

Thanks and Regards,
Srinivas G