Re: filter drivers in Linux

Hi!

On 18:32 Wed 24 Dec     , Srinivas G. wrote:
> Is there any concept of filter driver in case of Linux like in windows
> OS. In windows we can write a filter driver to enhance the behavior of
> existing driver and this filter driver can be attached to main driver
> either above or below. But I don't see similar concept in Linux.

I am not sure if I have understood you correctly and I am not familiar with
windows drivers, but I think what you are trying to do is wrong. You have the
source code of every driver and every subsystem of the kernel. You can change
the driver, subsystems, in-kernel apis, ... and create new ones whenever you
like. Why do you want do add function call redirects at runtime? Such things
make changing drivers or other things later much harder. It may be the only
way, if you do not have the source code of the driver/kernel. On Linux, you
do!
	-Michi
--
programing a layer 3+4 network protocol for mesh networks
see http://michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com