Spawning and managing userprocess from kernel module

Hello all!

I need to be able to start and manage several user-processes from a kernel module. By managing, i mean, read the process output, wait for its end, kill it sooner if needed. It looks like the mecanisms offered by call_usermodehelper() but, more sophisticated. I did some code, looking a lot to that what is done in call_usermodehelper() but I'm facing more and more issues.

I'm near achieving that, but the more I work on this, the more I need user-space related stuff, like some syscalls, and functions that are intended to be used only from userspace. I know this is not really good but at first, I just thought I would have need very few of them... but it does not seem the case.

So my questions are:
1 - Is it normal some functions like sys_setsid, do_sigaction, sys_pipe, ... (used in various places in kernel) are only intended to be used in kernel, and not in modules (no export_symbol for them)? 2 - How will you do to solve my first problem, start and manage userspace processes from kernel? 3 - Is the only solution to code a userspace daemon for doing that, and just use a mechanism to communicate between this daemon and the kernel? This will split my work in two parts, and I'm not very fond of this solution...

Thanks in advance for you help

Aurélien