Re: Spawning and managing userprocess from kernel module

Hi

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 10:54 PM, DEGREMONT Aurelien
<aurelien.degremont@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> I need to be able to start and manage several user-processes from a kernel
> module.
> By managing, i mean, read the process output, wait for its end, kill it
> sooner if needed.
> It looks like the mecanisms offered by call_usermodehelper() but, more
> sophisticated.
> I did some code, looking a lot to that what is done in call_usermodehelper()
> but I'm facing more and more issues.

What you're trying to do is whole lot easier and less complex if you
do it (mostly) in user space.Do fork(), then probably coordinate via
mutex, signal or simply do wait().

Please notice that I don't say you're wasting your time, I just think
it's not something that should be managed by kernel space.

So, I think you should go with (3). Good luck man!

regards,

Mulyadi.