Re: JFFS2 issues

Hi,

Nancy Isaac wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is a very long email with lots of questions.
>
> Summary of my system
> I am working on bringing up a system that's running PPC 8313 with 32MB
> of NOR flash,  512MB of NAND flash and 128MB of RAM.  We have the NOR
> flash to run u-boot and NAND flash has the kernel and file system.

So NOR is practically empty? All bits, kernel and rootfs plus any
additional partitions, are on NAND then?

> For the NAND flash, we are using JFFS2 for file system type.  I
> initially set up just two partitions, boot and rootfs.  Our root file
> system is about 50MB.

Big!

> Problem1 :  It takes about 5 minutes for me to boot up the system.
> Question: Does anyone have any suggestions to reduce this time?

Maybe using NOR flash might speed things up..
Have you tried using JFFS2 summary?

> The common response I get is that I should use YAFFS2.  I can't find a
> way to program a yaffs2 image for both kernel and rootfs from uboot.
> Uboot seems to think the file system type is JFFS2 and all commands
> are designed with that in mind.

I haven't used u-boot quite some time now, but I think all you need is
support for rootfs YAFFS2 image - kernel is just infront of the rootfs,
forming a combined flash 'image'. I'm not familiar with your architecture,
and the way it boots so it might be a bit different.

> Is there a way to figure out how fragmented the NAND flash is?
> What are some JFFS2 related statistics that I can use?
> Is there a way to force a defragmentation of the NAND flash? For
> example, before I put a new release on there, can force a defrag to
> happen?

When I update the partitions on my system I usually erase the NOR/NAND
partition and then dd/nandwrite the update image anew. I know it is not always
doable (updating rootfs that way might fail), but using tmpfs and temporary busybox
even this can be overcome.

HTH,
Hinko

--