Re: JFFS2 issues

Le Tue, 5 Aug 2008 19:04:48 -0700,
"Nancy Isaac" <nancy.isaac@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

> Problem1 :  It takes about 5 minutes for me to boot up the system.
> Question: Does anyone have any suggestions to reduce this time?

Have a look at http://elinux.org/Boot_Time. Basically, the first step
is to measure what is taking time: kernel load, kernel uncompression,
kernel initialization, userspace initialization, etc. Considering the
siez of your NAND flash and the use of JFFS2, the mounting process is
probably taking quite some time.

> The common response I get is that I should use YAFFS2.  I can't find a
> way to program a yaffs2 image for both kernel and rootfs from uboot.
> Uboot seems to think the file system type is JFFS2 and all commands
> are designed with that in mind.

I'm not sure to understand. U-Boot is only supposed to Flash the kernel
and the root filesystem image at a given location in Flash. Why should
it require to "understand" the filesystem image format ?

I would suggest asking that kind of question to the
linux-embedded@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx list, as it's kind of more advanced
and specific than what the kernelnewbies list has been created for.

> Problem2: After a few days of running the system while updating the
> system with new releases and writing logs, we end up with a real
> sluggish system.  We run out of memory and when I do a slabtop,
> jffs2_refblock shows something like this:

I have no idea. But David Woodhouse (that you Cc'ed) will certainly
answer your question. You probably should have Cc'ed the
linux-mtd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx list as well.

Hope this helps,

Thomas
--