Newbie: kernel search techniques ??

Hi; I am a kernel newbie who is about to embark on "Kernel Hackers'
Guide to git".  Up to now I have been tentatively using google:code to
check up on any kernel mysteries I might have had.

I am asking for pointers, not full descriptions; please excuse my kernel
terminology.  As I say, I am a newbie.  If what I write doesn't make
sense, ask me for more details or try to decipher what I am getting at.

How do I trace back through code for the full tree of a single process?

For example, I wanted to trace the full 'line discipline' code -- from
first constant #define, through N_TTY, to its use in TTY?  I had a
'Hell' of a time.  I never did get the whole thing put together.

Without limiting the generality of my question, how would I go about
tracing or building process sub-trees?

Are there tutorials, programs or git techniques that assist me in doing
those kind of traces?

I would appreciate your assistance.  Just pointing me in the right
direction is all I need for now.  I will do the requisite reading and
practising .

By the way, my plan was to use the
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git
as my source.  Is it any more difficult, or likely to be less confusing
at the start, if I download the Fedora 9 kernel source instead?  (I am
using the F9 distribution.)

--
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.2