Re: Ctrl-C does not stop a process

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 1:36 PM, tomy <tomy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>   I am logging in as root through a serial console. I'm using hyper terminal
> on Windows for the terminal emulator.In a serial console session, I can't
> kill processes with ^C; I have to telnet in and kill it.In a telnet
> session,^C works fine.Has anyone seen this behavior before? And how to solve
> this?

I may be wrong, for lack of internal knowledge bout serial vs tty
implementation specifics, as well as TCP/IP....possibly someone look
into this direction.   I suspect it has to do with serial vs
non-serial lines - instead of the different products as listed and
mentioned in this thread.   The reason is this:   in a serial pipes,
all instructions have to be processed and completed before taking the
next one from the pipes --> this is serial interface, right?   So if
ctrl-C is queued before the command stream, there is no way it can
intercept the command's stream execution.

But in a different implementation (what is that?), it may be possible
that signals like ctrl-C may have a different channel to reach the
kernel as compared with the normal command stream.   So, even before
the normal command can complete, the signal can come in and intercept
its completion.   (An analogy will be FTP's out-of-band implementation
of command vs data channel)

Please enlighten me.

--
Regards,