Re: Newbies question regarding git

Hi,

On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 12:40 PM, Manish Katiyar <mkatiyar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  I am trying to configure my development environment and thus trying my
>  hands with git to keep myself updated with kernel and e2fsprogs. I
>  could setup git to pull the latest images, however I have few basic
>  questions.
>
>  1) Everytime i have to get the updated source I do "git pull". Does
>  that mean I get the stable version or the unstable one ??

If you cloned linux-2.6.git, you get the unstable version. However,
each time you run "git pull", you get the latest *commit* that was
performed on the tree. This usually means that you're somewhere in
between any form of version counting.

>  2) When people submit patches I can see a commit id with it. However
>  "git show <id>" gives "fatal: bad object <id>". How can i configure it
>  to see ??

You can use "git log -p <id>" to see the patch description and actual
patch for the given id (and all ancestors). If you don't want
ancestors, try adding "-n 1" to limit the number of entries to see.

>  3) I guess there must be two different git repositories for the stable
>  and unstable version. How do I see the current patches submitted for
>  each individual ? Will I have to clone with each developers git
>  repository ??

There are different answers to this question, depending on exactly
what you want. You may use "git log --author='Name'" to see commits
made by a particular person, but this only shows commits that have
already been made to the particular tree you are using.

If you want to see patches that are not yet committed to the
repository, then yes, you must clone each developer's individual
repository, though there is an easier way too. There is a command,
git-remote, which allows you to track many branches from different
repositories at the same time. So you may use "git remote add vegard
http://path/to/vegards-code.git"; and git will automatically save a lot
of space for you by not downloading the common files for two
repositories. However, this is slightly more advanced use of git.
(There is a short description of this for Ingo Molnar's changes at
http://people.redhat.com/mingo/x86.git/readme.txt )

Also, very helpful are the git manual pages. Use "git <command>
--help" to see any of them.

>  Sorry if the questions are too silly .... but this is my first
>  interaction with git :-)

In my experience, it's very useful to learn git _with somebody_, like
friends or colleagues, who are also new to git. At least this helped
me greatly. And there are no silly questions! Good luck.

Vegard