Re: Newbies question regarding git

On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 6:40 PM, Manish Katiyar <mkatiyar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to configure my development environment and thus trying my
hands with git to keep myself updated with kernel and e2fsprogs. I
could setup git to pull the latest images, however I have few basic
questions.

1) Everytime i have to get the updated source I do "git pull". Does
that mean I get the stable version or the unstable one ??

git pull, only pull from the original source u did a "git clone".   So which source u clone?   Eg, I am aware of  linus tree, and -mm tree,  and there is a "ext4 unstable tree" which I pull occasionally.   but whether linus tree has a stable or unstable version, i am not sure, just aware that it is considered as the most stable - as compared with -mm tree.

2) When people submit patches I can see a commit id with it. However
"git show <id>" gives "fatal: bad object <id>". How can i configure it
to see ??

"git log" will list all, showing the ID.   am i understanding u?

3) I guess there must be two different git repositories for the stable
and unstable version. How do I see the current patches submitted for
each individual ? Will I have to clone with each developers git
repository ??

not sure myself.

Sorry if the questions are too silly .... but this is my first
interaction with git :-)

--
Regards,
Peter Teoh