Re: Newbies question regarding git

On Sat, Apr 05, 2008 at 04:10:33PM +0530, Manish Katiyar wrote:
> I am trying to configure my development environment and thus trying my
> hands with git to keep myself updated with kernel and e2fsprogs. I
> could setup git to pull the latest images, however I have few basic
> questions.
>
> 1) Everytime i have to get the updated source I do "git pull". Does
> that mean I get the stable version or the unstable one ??

The latest one, which usually means it can be unstable. For the kernel
only versions tagged with "v2.6.xx" are stable. You can get to them by
resetting the tree at that point:

  git reset --hard v2.6.24

That will reset the tree at the tag v2.6.24 (which is what Linus
released as linux-2.6.24).

> 2) When people submit patches I can see a commit id with it. However
> "git show <id>" gives "fatal: bad object <id>". How can i configure it
> to see ??

It is a commit in their personal tree. You can only see that commit if
you pull the commit from their tree and then do "git show id".

> 3) I guess there must be two different git repositories for the stable
> and unstable version. How do I see the current patches submitted for
> each individual ? Will I have to clone with each developers git
> repository ??

No, there are no stable and unstable git repositories. When Linus
thinks it's time for a release, he tags the repository and generates a
tarball from the tree at that particular commit.

> Sorry if the questions are too silly .... but this is my first
> interaction with git :-)

Have a look at the git homepage at htp://www.git.or.cz/ . The
documentation section has a couple of good links.

Erik

--
Erik Mouw -- mouw@xxxxxxxxxxxx