From: Mulyadi Santosa [mailto:mulyadi.santosa@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2008 7:13 AM
To: Priya Suryanarayanan
Cc: kernelnewbies@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Question on unmapping of PCIe mapped regions

Hi..

On Feb 13, 2008 10:07 PM, Priya Suryanarayanan
<priya.suryanarayanan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I own a Gigabit Ethernet driver which is being tested on a PCI Express
PC
> running Linux 2.6.18.1.
>

> For normal traffic (ping, ftp, telnet, WWW), there seems to be no
problem.
> When regression-testing with netperf, the system hangs randomly. After
a lot
> of debugging, I've discovered that this event coincides with the
device
> registers suddenly showing 0xffffffff. Debugging with Vmetro indicates
that
> the device registers do not really contain this value. Therefore,
somehow
> the space has got unmapped from the system virtual address space.

I try to offer some possibilities from my own thinking:
a. maybe the driver does something like zero copy ...in normal cases
it works OK, but in some rare corner cases (read: huge load), card
data transfer is not fast enough, so it hit race condition where it
tries to copy data from user space while the page itself is going
unmapped

b. it is simply another race condition, but not related to user space.
skbuff is released sooner while still the payload  is still being
copied to card's memory.

I might be offering silly thoughts here....

regards,

Mulyadi.