Backporting features (probably OT)

Hello
I have a custom installation from Fedora Core 3 at work and I have been asked to customize it further to be able to install on some new Dell Laptops where 2.6.12 cant work with it's hard drives.

I suggest instead migrating the custom install cd's into a more recent version of Fedora.

I just want to know how hard it would be to find what needs to be backported into Fedora 3 to make the install cd's work.

Anybody here has hands on experience with finding and backporting code? (My main concern is I have no idea how to find what needs to be backported, and I also fear the hell that would be to upgrade the kernel, as an alternative, because of dependencies or some incompatibility/change in some api)

I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions you can give me.