Re: system sound player

On 21-01-08 04:23, Mulyadi Santosa wrote:

On Jan 21, 0108 4:55 AM, Christopher Reder <creder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

hello all.  I am working on an embedded device and will want it to play
some simple system sound commands when buttons are pressed etc but want
them to play with no delay.  That is, when I play a mp3 from mplayer,
there is some delay as it buffers and decompresses the mp3.

Does anyone have any recommendations of how to do this as quickly and
efficiently as possible?  aplay with wav file?

Sounds about right -- aplay has parameters to tweak bufer and period sizes and some experimenting should get you useful ones.

If uncompessed audio is a bit unwieldly though, also look into Ogg Vorbis. Its reference command line player, ogg123, also takes buffer-size parameters and might well be fast enough.

Rene.