Re: system sound player

Hi...

here is what I know...

On Jan 21, 0108 4:55 AM, Christopher Reder <creder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> hello all.  I am working on an embedded device and will want it to play some simple system sound commands when buttons are pressed etc but want them to play with no delay.  That is, when I play a mp3 from mplayer, there is some delay as it buffers and decompresses the mp3.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations of how to do this as quickly and efficiently as possible?  aplay with wav file?

a) Prefetch the content of the file first whenever possible..as much as you can.
b) use fastest I/O scheduler...maybe you need "deadline"
c) use highest priority for your sound player.... soft/hard real time
if possible
d) use highest HZ....it will indirectly make your player runs "more responsive"
e) use kernel level preemption a.k.a CONFIG_PREEMPT=y

Oh...and in programming side, make sure you give plenty of
buffer...and if possible...mlock() it to RAM so it won't be swapped
out to swap area.

Go to linuxaudio.org (if I remember the URL correctly)..and google for
"florian schmidt"...he ..and Linux Audio website, will give you plenty
of ideas.

Anybody has further tips?

regards,

Mulyadi.