Re: Strange feezing on 2.6.21

On Jan 10, 2008, at 8:03 AM, Erik Mouw wrote:

Your current kernel will also have new unknown troubles, plus quite some known troubles. Not upgrading doesn't mean you have no unknown troubles, only different unknown troubles.

True. It means you have exchanged some known troubles for unknown ones. If one is fielding a well-tested system that's a negative due to the amount of regression testing needed to get back to a similar level of confidence.

Before I'll upgrade to new version I'd like to try finding the reason of this behavior.

Tracing already fixed bugs is a waste of time. The best way to avoid that waste is to upgrade your kernel and see if that fixes the problem.

True, but spending time to try the new kernel only to find that it doesn't help is also a waste of time. It can be a large waste if there's a significant porting effort (like for a custom board).

To avoid both of those forms of waste the original poster (I think) was asking if this issue was familiar to anyone. Something like, "Yes, I saw that behavior prior to 2.6.23 but not since" would make it much more likely to help and makes committing the resources needed to "try it" easier to support.

Doing so when no one knows recognizes the problem and no release notes mention it is moving in the direction of wishful thinking.

-Mike