Re: Strange feezing on 2.6.21

On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 03:04:34PM +0300, Konstantin Kalin wrote:
> Mulyadi Santosa wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> On Jan 10, 2008 5:58 PM, Konstantin Kalin <konstantin.kalin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'd like to ask your help with strange behavior of kernel 2.6.21-7.
>>>

>> try to upgrade to latest stable first.
>>
>> regards,
>>
>> Mulyadi
>>
> Thank you for advice. Unfortunately it is not easy as may appear because
> this version of the kernel is used in production and new version of kernel
> would have new unknown troubles.

Your current kernel will also have new unknown troubles, plus quite
some known troubles. Not upgrading doesn't mean you have no unknown
troubles, only different unknown troubles.

> Before I'll upgrade to new version I'd
> like to try finding the reason of this behavior.

Tracing already fixed bugs is a waste of time. The best way to avoid
that waste is to upgrade your kernel and see if that fixes the problem.

> Moreover the upgrading to
> new kernel couldn't solve the issue. I'm asking an advice how I can
> debug/collect information what kernel is doing that moment.

Use netconsole or serial console to get console output. When the kernel
hangs, try to figure out what's going on with one of the magic sysrq
commands.

BTW, "2.6.21-7" suggests you're using a distro kernel. Check if your
distributions offers a kernel upgrade.

Erik

--
They're all fools. Don't worry. Darwin may be slow, but he'll
eventually get them. -- Matthew Lammers in alt.sysadmin.recovery