Does excessive use of printk corrupt log buffer?

Hi All,

While working (debugging) on one of my kernel modules (a file system),
I had to put a lot of printk to understand and track all the changes that
were happening. These printk had variables being printed and sometimes
in loop. In essence, there was a huge log generated even for a small I/O.

I also noticed that sometimes (not always but not rare as well) the
/var/log/messages file had grabled text. Part of the text which belonged
to the thrown printk was corrupted. Besides the order of printk being
jumbled, the data which was being printed was also corrupted (with special
characters).

Also, when I reduced the number of printk (switching off a macro), I found
this problem appearing even lesser. And infact, I could not reproduce this
problem when I had just 10-20 lines of printk per module call.

What I am wondering is that is it possible that excessive use of printk is
causing corruption of the printk log buffer? Any hints/pointers as to what
should I do to debug this kind of problem?

I am currently working on SLES 10 SP1 (2.6.16.46 kernel) on an SMP opteron
machine.

Thanks,

Shreyansh