Re: problem with linux booting

Hi,

On 10/19/07, rahul yadav <add2rahul@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Bernd,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
> But my problem is still existing.
>
> "You copied the wrong file. Which file exactly did you copy?"
> after compliation one executable with the name vmlinux is created. that i
> copied.

The file you probably need is inside
arch/<your-architecture>/boot/

For example, on x86 computers, you need the image:
arch/i386/boot/bzImage

This is the image you copy to /boot, and add the right line in
/boot/grub/menu.lst for.

> "Use the "file" commandline tool and see what it tells you about the
> original kernel file and the current one (and all you intend to try)."
> it does not show the original kernel file.it only shows the newly created
> image vmlinux(37MB).
>
> Please tell me the exact kernel version that i should download from the
> kernel.org that is working one and compile without error.Actually before
> this kernel,3 kernels i downloaded and those were not compiling.

Normally you just take the lastest kernel, and it should compile
without errors...

regards,
thomas