problem with linux booting

Hi all

I am a beginner in the linux kernel programming. In fact I have to start it.
I have 2 problems:

1.  As a beginner i downloaded a kernel(2.6.15.1) from the internet(www.kernel.org) and then compiled it got an image of size aroung 37MB.
and pasted it in the folder where my original kernel 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5 was present (/boot)and i took a back up of older kernel somewhere else in the file system.
then I edited the file grub.conf to load from the new kernel image(i only changed the name of the image to the newly built image)

then did a reboot.

while booting it shows an error:

"unsupported executable format."

Now, since my older kernel is not being referenced(neigther present in the same directory nor in the the path is provided in the grub.conf ) , so i am not able to do anything and change the grub.conf. Do i need to install the the kernel again?Or still i can recover? Please suggest.

2. Why this new kernel image's format is not supported,what can i do for the same?
where am i missing? where should i get the fresh kernel.many kernels provided in the kernel.org site are giving compilation error.

do i need to edit initrd file also?
please tell me the best way to start kernel programming.

Regards

Rahul