Re: Run Levels

tomy wrote:
Hi,

Currently I am doing Porting Linux to ARM platform. I was able to run the Linux Kernel (2.6) , but facing some problem in run levels.There was no initdefault entry in the inittab file, so i have added that with id:3:initdefault: , but in the next boot up it is giving an error like "Bad inittab entry".

Is this busybox init/inittab you are using? Busybox does not recognize the initdefault directive so this is expected. See http://www.busybox.net/downloads/BusyBox.html, init chapter about sor the list of known and supported inittab directives.

 And also while running "runlevel" command it is
giving "unknown". So what will be the reason for these.

Wrong inittab entries.

Is there any
other configuration or settings required for this?

You must know what lines are allowed in the init/inittab you are using...

Also I wanted to know
whether run levels are mandatory in Linux ?

No.

.If it is not, who decides this?

You do.

Regards,