Run Levels

Hi,

Currently I am doing Porting Linux to ARM platform. I was able to run the Linux Kernel (2.6) , but facing some problem in run levels.There was no initdefault entry in the inittab file, so i have added that with id:3:initdefault: , but in the next boot up it is giving an error like "Bad inittab entry". And also while running "runlevel" command it is giving "unknown". So what will be the reason for these. Is there any other configuration or settings required for this? Also I wanted to know whether run levels are mandatory in Linux ?.If it is not, who decides this?

with regards

tomy

With Regards,

Tomy Devasia