Re: Run Levels

On Wednesday 10 October 2007, tomy wrote:
> Hi,
> Currently I am doing Porting Linux to ARM platform. I was able to run
> the Linux Kernel (2.6) , but facing some problem in run levels.There
> was no initdefault entry in the inittab file, so i have added that
> with id:3:initdefault: , but in the next boot up it is giving an
> error like "Bad inittab entry". And also while running "runlevel"
> command it is giving "unknown". So what will be the reason for these.
> Is there any other configuration or settings required for this? Also
> I wanted to know whether run levels are mandatory in Linux ?.If it is
> not, who decides this?

Please post to this list in text. HTML mail doesn't go down well.

This is not a kernel issue so it's actually off-topic, but since you
posted anyway, here goes:

Your initdefault line is correct, so I would say it's a different line
that is problematic. Please post the whole file.

Runlevels are not mandatory. If there is no "init=" kernel parameter,
the kernel will look for init in a few places and run that with PID 1.
It usually finds /sbin/init on most distros. init then runs the various
runlevel scripts, all described in 'man init'.

Try boot with parameter 'init=/bin/bash' on a regular distro to see how
it all fits together

alan

--
Alan McKinnon