RE: stuck with driver development

From: kernelnewbies-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:kernelnewbies-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of tejas khatiwala
Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 10:44 PM
To: Linux Newbies
Subject: stuck with driver development

hi..
             I've been trying to learn writing device drivers in linux.. I read bunch of books including ldd3 (cover to cover), other OS books, bunch of net-articles, some network device driver codes etc.

I think in LDD3, there is a pretty much good chapter on Network device drivers and it also gives you a good reference to some simple driver code to start with like loopback.c, e100.c etc.

Also you should get ur hands on Linux Network Internals book . However refer to only what is required. eg:-. Ethernet frame headers , structures like net_device etc.

 I asked for help earlier in this group for some sample manufacturer's specification so that I can compare associated driver code in linux source with its specification.. somebody helped too (provided spec. for Realtek 8139c+) and I could understand most part of the code also.. now I want to write a driver (preferably network device driver) on my own.. where do i start ? is there any open source project developing device drivers going on where I can join and contribute ? please help..

I think you can check sourceforge.net, but not very sure whether they have such projects. Also you should post this to linux-net group as well, they will be able to give you the right pointers..

/tejas