Re: stuck with driver development

On 7/24/07, tejas khatiwala <socretez@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
hi..
             I've been trying to learn writing device drivers in linux.. I
read bunch of books including ldd3 (cover to cover), other OS books, bunch
of net-articles, some network device driver codes etc. I asked for help
earlier in this group for some sample manufacturer's specification so that I
can compare associated driver code in linux source with its specification..
somebody helped too (provided spec. for Realtek 8139c+) and I could
understand most part of the code also.. now I want to write a driver
(preferably network device driver) on my own.. where do i start ? is there
any open source project developing device drivers going on where I can join
and contribute ? please help..

/tejas

Have you joined the linux-net mailing list yet?

http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-net

Searchable archive at http://marc.info/?l=linux-net

FYI: Only 30  "8139too" related posts in 4 years, so it is pretty stable.

That might be good place to monitor.  Pay special attention to Jeff
Garzik posts since I believe he is the main gatekeeper on that list.
ie. Network patches / drivers get sent to him.  If he applies them to
his internal GIT tree, he will later on submit them to Linus.  I don't
monitor linux-net, but Jeff is also the main sata driver person and I
rarely see Linus reject one of Jeff's submissions.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group