Re: Kernel panic on update to vanilla 2.6.21.3 from vanilla 2.6.20.4

Hi Kirk

First of all, I think you describe the problem quite well. And here's what I think about your problem...
    mount: could not find filesystem '/dev/root'
usually, if I see this kind of message, I check the following things:
1. Make sure the filesystem module is compiled and REALLY made into initrd image. Building as native kernel is also a good idea if you think you frequently forgot to rebuild initrd image. 2. Make sure you compile the correct driver for your device, be it IDE, SCSI or whatever. I saw you use "sda", so I assume it is SCSI device or any device that use SCSI emulation layer.

Another point to check is, and I am sure you know it as well, the naming of configuration items are sometimes changed between kernel version. So, please check the ".config" files of your two kernel source and see if you can spot any differences there. The recipe is:
1. throw out any line prefixed with "#"
2. sort the result of (1) alphabetically
3. diff the result of (2) between two kernel source.
What I believe is happening is that the builtin nash command mkrootdev
is silently failing to produce a /dev/root.
Just as reminder, I put the man section describing mkrootdev here:

mkrootdev path
Makes path a block inode for the device which should be mounted as root. To determine this device nash uses the device suggested by the root= kernel command line argument (if root=LABEL is used devices are probed to find one with that label). If no root= argument is available, /proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev provides
             the device number.

So, IMHO if it can't find your root device, either you point it to wrong partition, it hasn't detected or it simply doesn't exist.

Other than that, it could be something about udev, but I really don't have any idea about it. IMHO, before tangling with udev, make sure you check what I have suggested above.

good luck...

regards,

Mulyadi