Kernel panic on update to vanilla 2.6.21.3 from vanilla 2.6.20.4

Hi all,

I get a kernel panic on boot when I upgraded from a vanilla 2.6.20.4 to
a vanilla 2.6.21.3 kernel on a Fedora Core 6 box. Here's the relevant
part of the log:

    Creating root device.
    Mounting root filesystem.
    mount: could not find filesystem '/dev/root'
    Setting up other filesystems.
    Setting up new root fs
    setuproot: moving /dev failed: No such file or directory
    no fstab.sys, mounting internal defaults
    setuproot: error mounting /proc: No such file or directory
    setuproot: error mounting /sys: No such file or directory
    Switching to new root and running init.
    unmounting old /dev
    unmounting old /proc
    unmounting old /sys
    switchroot: mount failed: No such file or directory
    [  580.767825] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

What I believe is happening is that the builtin nash command mkrootdev
is silently failing to produce a /dev/root. I assume this because I
added a call to the init script that lists the entries in the /dev file
system at boot time:

    find /dev

This is output right after the mkrootdev call but before the setuproot
call. I see about two dozen or so /dev entries from the find command on
the console. However, on 2.6.21.3, /dev/root is not listed, but it is
listed for 2.6.20.4. As such, 2.6.20.4 boots fine whereas 2.6.21.3 then
panics.

Here is what my 2.6.20.4 boot log looks like:

    Creating root device.
    Mounting root filesystem.
    kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
    Setting up other filesystems.
    Setting up new root fs
    no fstab.sys, mounting internal defaults
    Switching to new root and running init.
    unmounting old /dev
    unmounting old /proc
    unmounting old /sys

Regarding my root= option, it's /dev/sda3 as opposed to LABEL=/. My
root filesystem is ext3 which is a module as opposed to built-in.
However, my 2.6.20.4 kernel was the same way and caused no issues.

So, it would seem that mkinitrd is not creating a /dev entry for the
root device. Based on some Google-ing, I tried to manually create the
entry in my init script:

    mknod /dev/sda3 b 8 3
    mknod /dev/root b 8 3

But then it said:

    Creating root device.
    Mounting root filesystem.
    mount: error mounting /dev/root on /sysroot as ext3: No such device

        or address
    Setting up other filesystems.
    Setting up new root fs
    setuproot: moving /dev failed: No such file or directory
    no fstab.sys, mounting internal defaults
    setuproot: error mounting /proc: No such file or directory
    setuproot: error mounting /sys: No such file or directory
    Switching to new root and running init.
    unmounting old /dev
    unmounting old /proc
    unmounting old /sys
    switchroot: mount failed: No such file or directory
    [  292.981508] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

I have heard some references to udev and have seen some calls to
/sbin/udevstartup or something in some user's init scripts, but my
mkinitrd does not generate this call.

Any ideas? I've been working on this for nearly a week now and
Google-ing for it ad naseum. I've heard that Fedora is not too friendly
to vanilla kernels, but I don't really want to switch my whole distro
because of this issue.

I am aware this is somewhat of a distro-specific question, but it's
somehow breaking my kernel, so hopefully you don't mind the posting
here :)

Thanks,
Kirk