Re: no vm86_info: BAD

Hi,

       This is still not clear to me. How would one test his driver meant
for a physical hw which is not yet available. I thought I could raise the
allocated interrupt to it, and can test the handler ?

There are special hardware tools available for this (generating
interrupts etc). Also, if you do not have the hardware, what would you
test in the ISR (except that the ISR is getting called) ... because
the ISR needs to manipulate registers in the hardware it is supposed
to handle. In case you just want to see if your ISR is getting called,
you can always hook onto some exiting IRQ line (Lets say the line of
ethernet card).

Any clue on interpreting the error message "no vm86_info:BAD" ?

I'm myself ignorant on this.:-(

Another question -- How the IRQ lines are mapped to the physical devices ???
Well, I understand that most of the physical devices have fixed IRQ lines,
but what about those which donot have these as fixed ones, eg. keyboard (I
am not sure if this also has fixed). ... otherwise, what if I add a new card
to my PC, what IRQ lines gets mapped to this ??

Well, it depends upon what kind of device it is. ISA devices generally
have fixed IRQs (configured through jumpers), PCI devices may be
assigned an IRQ at system initialization time by the PCI firmware.

Alongwith answers, references any good text to such topics is very much
appreciated :)

Read LDD3 chap on interrupts.

Thanks,

Rajat