Re: workqueues and serialization

On 4/27/07, Mulyadi Santosa <mulyadi.santosa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Heya Pradeep...

> may i ask why so?

IMHO, because by avoiding serialization, you could maximize the work you
can do at a time. This is especially true for SMP...
Ok, got that.

>> > Which one now will schedule?If i want serialisation in the sense that,
>> > the handler which got the CPU first should always finish first i guess
>> > i ll need a semaphore.
>> To give you a picture, even if two handler submitted to different CPU
>> with the same expiration time, there is a chance one would run first
>> then followed by the other. This is derived from the fact that Linux
>> kernel doesn't guarantee real time timer execution, so workqueue handler
>> could be deferred several miliseconds later than the actual deadline.
> Yup ,thats very true.but my module is running on a uniprocessor system
> so i guess my previous arguments hold true on similar line.

OK, then I think in uniprocessor one which is submitted first should be
the one that runs first, as long as you don't create additional new
queue (thus new kernel thread).

I hope this clarify all your doubts. Again, sorry for this late reply.
Yes it did help.

Thank you.
~psr

regards,