Re: triggering dhcp from a network driver

On 4/20/07, Cristian Zamfir <zamf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Tavi,

 > I think you could generate hotplug events (KOBJECT_OFFLINE /
KOBJECT_ONLINE maybe?) and configure your hotplug/udev scripts to take
care of ifup/ifdown operations.

That seems like a very good solution, I will look into it, thank you.

 > I am curious why you need that though...

Xen allows adding network interfaces dynamically to guest domains by
running 'xm network-attach' from the privileged domain. However, I can
only get it to set the MAC address. I cannot set IP level information or
set the new interface to use dhcp.
Because you are not allowed to do so once the domU has announced the
IP it intends to use. Can we change it from dom0 Cristian?

This is also useful for a VM that is live migrating across different
subnets and needs to be signalled in order to acquire a new network
address post migration.
Put live migration support is still immature in Xen i guess.Are you
working on improving it? :)

Thanks
~psr

Thank you for your help.