Re: triggering dhcp from a network driver

Hi Tavi,

> I think you could generate hotplug events (KOBJECT_OFFLINE / KOBJECT_ONLINE maybe?) and configure your hotplug/udev scripts to take care of ifup/ifdown operations.

That seems like a very good solution, I will look into it, thank you.

> I am curious why you need that though...

Xen allows adding network interfaces dynamically to guest domains by running 'xm network-attach' from the privileged domain. However, I can only get it to set the MAC address. I cannot set IP level information or set the new interface to use dhcp.

This is also useful for a VM that is live migrating across different subnets and needs to be signalled in order to acquire a new network address post migration.

Thank you for your help.

Cheers,
Cristian