Re: Different types of Address Types.

Hi,

On 4/17/07, srinivas bakki <srinivas.bakki@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Does that also mean that the kernel image is loaded in the RAM memory
> region corresponding to ZONE_DMA?

  Yes very much .

> I am concluding this from the fact that the kernel image (bzImage) is
> loaded at the *physical location* 0x100000 (which corresponds to
> 1048576 or 1 MB). - as mentioned in Understanding the Linux Kernel
> (Booting process).
>
> If that is right, does this effect any DMA'able devices' way of
> addressing the 16MB of dedicated DMA zone - or am I confusing ZONE_DMA
> and DMA'ble memory?

What kind of addressing effects do you see here ? The devices still address
it the same way ! That is dictated by the hardware, kernel has no way to
effect this.
Does the developer of such devices have to take care not to address
the xMB of memory that the kernel images eats away in the 16MB.
(Assuming that this is yes as developers are intelligent enough) And
would that affect the driver in case consecutive compiles of a kernel
image result in variable image size being loaded.

> Also, in my understanding, pages allocated using kmalloc are from
> ZONE_NORMAL. Hence, if the above argument is right, does that mean
> that we can use *only* the (<total physical RAM> - 16MB)physical
> memory OR (896MB virtual - 16MB of Zone_DMA)virtual addresses??

     What makes you say that we cannot use the memory from ZONE_DMA ?
Nothing!! <nor did I mean that  from what I wrote>.
I wanted to clarify my understanding that ZONE_NORMAL would 16MB of
memory less to address if the argument stated above is right. Am I
right?

Regards
Shreyansh