Re: Different types of Address Types.

Does that also mean that the kernel image is loaded in the RAM memory
region corresponding to ZONE_DMA?

  Yes very much .

I am concluding this from the fact that the kernel image (bzImage) is
loaded at the *physical location* 0x100000 (which corresponds to
1048576 or 1 MB). - as mentioned in Understanding the Linux Kernel
(Booting process).

If that is right, does this effect any DMA'able devices' way of
addressing the 16MB of dedicated DMA zone - or am I confusing ZONE_DMA
and DMA'ble memory?

What kind of addressing effects do you see here ? The devices still address it the same way ! That is dictated by the hardware, kernel has no way to effect this.

Also, in my understanding, pages allocated using kmalloc are from
ZONE_NORMAL. Hence, if the above argument is right, does that mean
that we can use *only* the (<total physical RAM> - 16MB)physical
memory OR (896MB virtual - 16MB of Zone_DMA)virtual addresses??

     What makes you say that we cannot use the memory from ZONE_DMA ?

Hope I am atleast clear about my doubt ;).

Thanks,

Regards,
Shreyansh