Re: kernel compilation : newbie doubt

On 3/30/07, Rahul Ramasubramanian <ramasubramanian.rahul@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
hi
i am trying to install the new kernel on my system..
some one told me that one should not install the kernel in /usr/src/linux
coz  kernel version that the  C library is compiled against is often linked
to this tree... what does this mean ... and

what is the difference between
installation and compilation of the kernel...
when you do a "make"
you can say that you have just compiled a kernel
now you have the kernel image & the modules object files

when you do "make modules_install"
the modules are copied to the /lib/modules/<kernel version>/

& usually the kernel image is copied to /boot
& the bootloader configuration file updated

These last two steps means you have installed the kernel
now you can see an option in the bootloader
& boot the newly installed kernel

where should i install my kernel if i want to make changes to it and try to
hack it...
usually its recomended to do all the kernel hacking from
your home directory

& sudo while installing

and if i install it somewhere other than  /usr/src/linux... will there not
be 2 kernels installed in my system..
no
only make sure you don;t overwrite the existing one
you can keep as many kernels in the boot directory just by giving them
different names
convention is /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.xx

about the modules in /lib/modules/2.6.xx

The top makefile has
EXTRAVERSION =
if you leave it blank a directory named
/lib/modules/2.6.xx
will be created when you do a modules_install
if you want the same kernel version with some other configuration
just do
EXTRAVERSION =custom
modules_install will work in
/lib/modules/2.6.xx-custom

this thing is very confusing to me..
will greately appriciate if some one can demystify this thing to me..

you should consider yourself lucky coz
now we have Linux Kernel in a Nutshell
http://www.kroah.com/log/linux/lkn.html

--