Re: kernel compilation : newbie doubt

kernelnewbies-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 03/30/2007 03:53:09 PM:

> hi

> i am trying to install the new kernel on my system..
> some one told me that one should not install the kernel in
> /usr/src/linux coz  kernel version that the  C library is compiled
> against is often linked to this tree... what does this mean ... and
> what is the difference between installation and compilation of the kernel...

> where should i install my kernel if i want to make changes to it and
> try to hack it...

> and if i install it somewhere other than  /usr/src/linux... will
> there not be 2 kernels installed in my system... this thing is very
> confusing to me.. will greately appriciate if some one can demystify
> this thing to me..

> thanks in advance
> kind regards
> rahul
> ForwardSourceID:NT0000AAF6

Hi Rahul,
The directory /usr/src/linux contains your current kernel and if you try to install the kernel into that directory, you will mess up your current linux kernel. So the person who told you not to install is absolutely right,because there are a lot of dependencies involved in a linux kernel. The linux kernel is written in C language. In most languages you need to convert you code into an object file which is what compilation of a kernel does. Installation refers to a doing a lot of things which will help your kernel boot up, like editing the grub configuration, creating a ram disk for boot, copying your kernel image to /etc/boot, etc. So this process is totally different from compilation. And yeah, if you install your kernel elsewhere you will have two kernels in your system, which is why i suppose you are installing a new kernel. Its always better to keep the old kernel as it is, especially the first time, to avoid any unforeseen problems. Hope your doubts are solved.
Regards,
Prathamesh
and any attachments. Thank you