Re: how the interrupt handler(ISR) knows the source of interrupt ?

Hi,

difference? AFAIK, level irq's will appear when the clock is LEVEL (now
is it the cpu clock??) And the edge triggered irq's will appear on
falling or rising edge as configured in the interrupting device. My
question was, is it the cpu clock, or the interrupting device clock
being reffered here.

I referred to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interrupt and it does not
suggest any clock. Also, IMHO, it is not necessary that the
interrupting device may even contain a clock. The level-triggered and
edge-triggered interrupt are distinguished based on the signal /
voltage level of the interrupt line itself.

so, if i have an edge triggered interrupt and my ISR looks like..

irqreturn_t my_device_isr(int irqno, void *dev_id)
{
        return IRQ_HANDLED;
}

will this do???

I'm sure you are aware that this ISR is of practically no use. At the
bare minimum, you need to acknowledge the receipt of IRQ to your
device and clear the interrupt from the device.

Thanks,

Rajat