Re: Sector sizes in the kernel

On Monday 26 March 2007 14:14, you wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 24, 2007 at 09:51:04PM +0200, Tzahi Fadida wrote:
> > I am reading from LDD3 and in the block device chapter there is a talk
> > about KERNEL_SECTOR_SIZE which is supposed to be 512bytes.
> > The problem is the terminology. A sector is a very big thing, i.e.:
> > in a floppy you have 18 sectors, 2 heads, 80 cylinders and a block size
> > of 512bytes. The size of a sector (which is a slice) is 80 * 512 bytes.
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cylinder-head-sector
> > I am sure this is not what they meant in the kernel.
> > I.e., i think they meant block size.
>
> A sector is the smallest addressable entity on a disk. Almost all hard
> drives have 512 byte sectors, though SCSI drives can be reformated with
> a different sector size (512 to up to 524 bytes IIRC). Hard drives with
> 1k sector sizes will become available in the near future.

As far as i know, the sector is not the smallest addressable entity on a disk,
in fact it is quite a huge thing. A sector includes all blocks on the radius
of a one side of a platter. This is why it is confusing that they claim that
a sector is 512 bytes. A block is the smallest entity and it is indeed on
most drives 512 bytes.
See here for a description of a sector:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cylinder-head-sector

--