Re: notifiers to user space

On 3/11/07, Ramagudi Naziir <naziirr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello.

Do anyone have an idea how to send a notifier to a user space application ?

I can do char device or socket, and let the user poll it, but it feels
like an overkill..

What about signals ? is it reliable ?

I wish there was a user-space form of the notifiers mechanism...

Hi,

I'm not sure if it would be useful, but the function
"call_usermodehelper()" (defined in include/linux/kmod.h) can be used
to execute a user space binary from the kernel space. It is used by
the hot-plug mechanism to notify user space about the new devices
added to the kernel.

Thanks,

Rajat