=?iso-8859-2?Q?many_sockets_slow_down_sendto??=

Hi,

I'm playing around with a simulation, in which many thousands of IP
addresses (on interface aliases) are used to send/receive TCP/UDP
packets. I noticed that the time of send/sendto increased linearly
with the number of file descriptors, and I found it rather strange. I
searched for some related topics, but I couldn't find any (I might
have chosen the wrong keywords).

Though, I'm a real kernelnewbie, I made up my mind to follow what is
happening in the deep. I used the printk and do_gettimeofday
functions to print timestamps at certain points of the execution path
to identify the bottleneck. Each socket is bound to a dedicated IP
address and each socket is using the very same port number, with the
help of SO_REUSEADDR socket option. I use the 2.16.19-r5
gentoo-sources on my Compaq Evo N1020v laptop. So far, I could get to
the following point:

Function/macro:                          Location:

sys_send                                 net/socket.c

sys_sendto                               net/socket.c

sock_sendmsg                             net/socket.c

__sock_sendmsg                           net/socket.c

(*socket_sendmsg)=inet_sendmsg           net/ipv4/af_inet.c

(*sendmsg)=udp_sendmsg                   net/ipv4/udp.c

udp_push_pending_frames                  net/ipv4/udp.c

ip_push_pending_frames                   net/ipv4/ip_output.c

NF_HOOK                                  include/linux/netfilter.h

ip_output                                net/ipv4/ip_output.c

ip_finish_output                         net/ipv4/ip_output.c

ip_finish_output2                        net/ipv4/ip_output.c

dst->heighbour->output=dev_queue_xmit    net/core/dev.c

rcu_read_unlock_bh                       include/linux/rcupdate.c

local_bh_enable                          kernel/softirq.c

At this point, I felt really helpless, and I don't even know if I'm
at the right track in this investigation. So, can someone  please
help me with advice or links pointing to the info I need? Let me know
if you need any further input.

I expect that sending a packet should not depend on the number of
file descriptors (sockets), it should be a more or less constant time
operation. Can you confirm this, or is there something in the kernel
or elsewhere preventing it?

Any hints are welcome. Thanks a lot!

/Zacco