Multiprocessing

I'm looking for information on multiprocessing in general, but specifics about Linux could be pretty useful. In particular, I would like to know how the kernel schedules threads and processors on systems that have multiple cores or physical CPUs. I'm really interested to know how the kernel boots on an MP machine. I assume the BIOS starts up one of the CPUs, which loads the kernel, which then schedules other processes on one of the other cores/CPUs if appropriate; but I'm curious to know how this happens on the assembly level.

Any references to this information (or OS-agnostic information on assembly-level multiprocessing) would be appreciated.

Dave