Re: learning the kernel

On Fri, 2 Mar 2007, Mulyadi Santosa wrote:

> Hello..
> > Does anyone have any suggestions on how to understand the linux kernel as a
> > whole first, and then on digging deeper into the details? As of now I'm
> > learning details first(ex: load re-balancer, task_struct, etc...), and it
> > seems rather slow going, and a tad overwhelming to memorize without
> > understanding were the details are going.

> IMHO the book "Linux kernel development" 2nd edition by Robert M.
> Love will serve you quite well.

i agree with that.  if you need to *start* with one book, that's
probably the best choice.  but keep a recent kernel source tree handy
for comparison purposes since some of the structure layouts have
changed.

for instance, in his chapter on concurrency, love covers semaphores
but doesn't cover mutexes.  in the chapter on kobjects, love
reproduces the layout of the kobject structure with an internal
"struct kset_hotplug_ops" member, when it's actually a "struct
kset_uevent_ops" member these days.  that sort of thing.  nothing
fatal, it's just that things have changed since love's book came out.

rday

p.s.  if you haven't already, get a copy of "linux kernel in a
nutshell" from o'reilly to make sure you understand the simple
configuration, building and installation of a kernel really well, too.

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://fsdev.net/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page