Re: Increasing RAM on my FOX board by using a USB pen drive

On 1/30/07, Salvatore Benedetto <emitrax@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
No, I don't mean to use it as swap space. I actually wanna make my system
to see more memory.

is that possible?

It is not clear what you mean by "see". Userland applications can
address as much memory as the address size can provide (32 bit, I
assume). AFAIK the kernel will happily grant resource requests as long
as the total memory allocated by an application is <= physical + swap.
So increasing swap spaces increases the amount of memory available to
applications. If you mean you want to treat the memory stick as RAM,
no, that is not possible. It is a completely different piece of
hardware, and I donn't see why you would want to do that. If you are
willing to take the latency than use it as a swap device, you even get
heuristics that try to minimize swapping for free.

- Bjoern