pci bus to pci bus xfers

We have a method (application/drivers/hardware) where one pci card writes and
reads directly into and out of the sram memory of another pci card on the same
pci bus. This is accomplished by setting up page tables in the writer card with
bus addresses etc. We cannot seem to get this to work when the cards are not
physically on the same pci bus. First, is it physically possible on the x86
platform and second, any hints as to what I need to do it.

Thanks in advance
Mark