Re: Load order of drivers during bootup

On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 10:03:34PM -0800, Siddharth Taneja wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a couple of questions regarding the order of loading of drivers
> during bootup. It seems that the order is dependent on the linking at
> compile time. I do not exactly understand how this happens. Could someone
> briefly explain this to me or point me in the right direction?

Built in drivers are initialized in link order.  Kernel modules are
loaded in what ever order they want to be.

> Also, given that the above is true, is there any other way by which one
> could specify the loading order of drivers at bootup? For example, when my
> kernel probes for the net devices, I see it loading the  e1000 driver before
> the tulip drivers. Is it possible to reverse this order by specifying a
> kernel argument?

No, this is a userspace issue.

Your userspace programs should not rely on the fact that one module is
loaded before the other.  Name your interfaces in a persistent manner by
using a tool like udev or something else.

thanks,

greg k-h